I did a rune life path reading at The Root Cafe today. I chose five runes from a bag and laid each one down in a straight line between me and the reader. The first and last runes I laid down were upside down (reversed). The other three were laid down the correct way. The final rune is what I am ultimately working toward and the other four are what I will experience along my path toward that goal but not necessarily in the order that I drew them.
The five chosen runes for the reading:
1. Constraint (reversed)
3. Protection (Spiritual)
5. Warrior (Spiritual) (reversed)
1. This Rune (lesson of Nauthiz) represents the obstacles we create for ourselves as well as those we encounter in the world around us. Reversed: Nauthiz is the great teacher disguised as the bringer of pain and limitation. A cleansing is required here; in undertaking it, you fund a will and strengthen character. Begin with what is most difficult and proceed to that which is easy. Thus you are required to undergo the dark side of your passage and bring it into the light.
2. This Rune (lesson of Perth) is concerned with the deepest stratum of our being, the bedrock on which our destiny is founded. If need be, let go of everything, no exceptions, no exclusions. Nothing less than renewal of the Spirit is at stake.
3. This Rune (lesson of Algiz) serves as a mirror for the Spiritual Warrior, the one whose battle is always with the self. During times of transition, shifts in life course and accelerated self-change, it is important not to collapse yourself into your emotions, the highs as well as the lows. Control of the emotions is at issue here. If you find yourself feeling pain, observe the pain, stay with it. Do not try to pull down the veil and escape from life by denying what is happening. You will progress; knowing that is your protection.
4. This Rune (lesson of Raido) is concerned with communication, with the attunement of something that has two sides, two elements and with the ultimate union that comes at the end of the journey, when what is above and what is below are united and of one mind. The journey is toward self-healing, self-change and union.
5. This Rune (lesson of Teiwaz) is the Rune of the Spiritual Warrior. Embodied in this Rune is the energy of discrimination, the swordlike quality that enables you to cut away the old, the dead, the extraneous. Reversed, Teiwaz calls for examining your motives carefully. Is it self-conquest with which you are concerned or are you trying to dominate another?
I am on a journey to discover and embody my authentic self. I will achieve this but there will be challenges along the way and I will need to make a sacrifice (“to make sacred”, not always a negative connotation).
The path that I am on right now is directly related to the choices I have made in my past, whether positive or negative, and I must see this path through. I’ve been avoiding it and trying to change it based on guilt and shame from the past, but I must put those aside in order to see it through.
I live always in the past or in the future, but never in the present. The past is represented by guilt and shame and it uses those two things to keep me there. The future is represented by anxiety and worry and those two things dominate me most of all. In order to live in the present and continue on my path, I must shed guilt, shame, anxiety, and worry and realize there is nothing I can do about any of them.
There is a new path that has presented itself to me and many obstacles have sprung up to keep me from pursuing this path. I must push these obstacles aside in whatever manner possible so that I can continue on this new path as well as following the current path. They will join together. The new path must join the current.
My role is as an Initiate. An initiate role was chosen for me and I cannot leave it behind. The role I have always chosen for myself is Master because it gives me the control that I feel I must have. But because the role of Master conflicts with the role of Initiate, I am suffocating in identity crisis and experiencing more negativity than I need to be feeling.
My name, Clara, means, among other things, “clairvoyant” and I have been suppressing this gift for awhile now though I embraced it for a good portion of my life. I must let this gift flow through me once again in order to become my authentic self.
I am going on a trip in the next year and this trip will give me answers that I have been seeking. It is immensely important that I go on this trip no matter what. I alone know the questions and answers I am seeking and I will recognize these answers when they are made apparent.
The Spiritual Warrior is who I am and who I am working toward becoming. While I am on the journey and once I have attained my authentic self, I must not feel compelled to stray from it or be anything less than authentic at all times. No one around me is owed an explanation for my authenticity but if I give explanation to a loved one, it is with the full knowledge that this is an honor, not an obligation or expectation.
Fear has dominated my life, as well as guilt, shame, anxiety, and worry. Control (and the perceived notion of having complete control) has led my actions, my words, and my life. It is an absolute necessity to let go of each of those things (and continue letting them go) in order to achieve my authentic self and to rid myself of their negative attributes.